Monday, August 17, 2009

Clarification: Layers of Fear

Jae Choi Sensei also emailed me some additional thoughts on the discussion of the "layers of fear." So, I'm putting them here.
---------------------------------------

Regarding your "layers of fear" posting, I just created the following bullet points.

i tried to be "detailed", but of course, this isn't a completely exclusive list. I'm sure everyone can add more to the list.

There are ways to deal with each item, but that's an entirely different topic. :-)

Internal layers of hesitation – Internal conflicts that cause an "ineffective" attack
  • Distance hesitation
    • I feel too close
    • I feel too far
    • I improperly judge attacking distance
  • Attack hesitation
    • If I attack, I’ll open myself to counter-attack
    • I don’t know how to mitigate a counter attack, so I'm afraid to attack.
    • If I don’t attack fast enough, opponent’s debana waza will attack first
    • I don't know when to attack
    • I don't know how to attack
    • I don’t know how to attack defensively, and I have no contingency.
    • My attacking techniques are weak
    • I don't know when my opponent is vulnerable to attacks
    • I don't how to to make my opponent vulnerable to attacks
  • Defense hesitation
    • If I defend, my offense will be stale...?
    • I don't know how to defend
    • I don't feel vulnerable, but I'm still attacked without defense.
    • What are counter-attacks?
    • I don’t know how to counter-attack
    • My counter-attack is too slow
    • My counter-attacks are limited
    • I don’t know how to defend offensively.
  • Physical hesitation
    • I’m too tired to make an all-out attack
    • I’m tired of not being successful with my attacks, it feels like a waste.
    • What’s the point of being tired and never making a point?
    • I don’t know what kiai is for
    • I don’t know how to use kiai
    • I don’t know why I’m using kiai
    • I don't know if I should even use kiai.
    • I get tight and can’t attack
    • I don’t know what signals I’m giving to my opponent
    • I don't know what techniques to use..
    • I don't know when or why to use certain techniques
  • Psychological hesitation
    • I don’t know why I’m not attacking
    • I don’t know why I’m not defending
    • I don’t know why I’m afraid
    • I don’t know what I’m thinking about
    • I don’t know why I’m thinking too much
    • I don’t’ know what my objectives are
    • I don’t know what my opponent’s objectives are
    • I don’t know how to read my opponent
    • I feel like my opponent can read everything I'm thinking
    • I don’t know why I don’t know anything I need to or should know

External layers of hesitation – My opponents barriers of resistance that add to my own internal conflicts, to further inhibit my attacks

  • Distance layer
    • Opponent constantly adjusts distance, whether too close / too far, so that it inhibits my willingness to attack.
    • But he's always in distance to strike me.
  • Attack layer
    • Opponent’s attacks are strong, and inhibits my willingness to attack
    • Opponent’s technique’s are superior, and inhibits my willingness to attack
    • Opponents attacks literally scare / intimidate me, I feel like cowering and just defending
  • Defense layer
    • Opponent is in a strong defensive position, and nothing is open.
    • Opponent’s Shinai tip is always in the way of my attacks – I can’t get it out of the way.
    • Opponent parries every attack and throws me off balance.
    • Opponent counter-attacks every attack I make
    • Opponent has no fear of my attacks
  • Physical hesitation
    • Opponent “wraps” or “locks” up my shinai, inhibiting my offense / defense.
    • Opponent inhibits my attack by confusing my kamae
    • Opponent intimidates my kamae with tai-atari
    • Opponent weakens whatever feeling I have in my kamae.
  • Psychological hesitation
    • Opponent always has the upper-hand
    • Opponent appears to have this "aura" or "sphere" of defense that I can't penetrate
    • Opponent’s “seme” is strong, and inhibits my willingness to attack
    • Opponent “seme” scares me
    • Opponent’s kiai is intimidating
    • Opponent’s glare is intimidating
    • Opponent’s kamae is intimidating, i.e., jodan, hasso,etc.
    • Opponent’s eagerness to defeat me is intimidating
    • Opponent’s lack of regard for losing is intimidating
    • I’m just intimated by every challenge in life
    • I’m afraid of failure
    • I don’t want to lose
    • I don’t feel like winning
    • I don't know what to think
    • I don't know what to do
    • I don't know what to look for
    • I just feel like a punching bag

No comments: