Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lesson: Seme and Feint (Part 2)

On Monday's practice, Jae Choi Sensei taught me a lesson which also related to Seme and Feint.

During the keiko w/ him, the following things occurred:
1) Jae Choi Sensei quickly Seme in (came in) for my "left wrist."
2) My automatic reaction was to wave my shinai to the left in order to block that attack, thus creating a wide opening of my "right wrist."
3) Then, he landed a solid strike on my right Kote (wrist).
4) While I was still at the mental shock of getting a valid and solid hit, he then attacked my wide open Men.

This chain of events occurred w/in probably a split second or two.

Right after that, he stopped the keiko and said the following things:

He first asked me why I opened up. Of course, my answer was to avoid the first seemingly-attack to my left-wrist. Then, he asked me if I had realized what happened afterward, and I said I did.

He then said, "it is natural for anybody to react to an attack" -- just like how I tried to avoid/block the attack by waving my shinai to the left.

"That's why the Senseis tell you to practice certain things so many times so that it becomes your second nature, and that certain thing automatically takes place under the real situation instead of your natural reaction." He then said, "it's like taking the old things out and putting the new things."

"But, EVERYONE has some kind of natural reaction. It's just that the more advanced you become (or the better you become), you just become better at hiding that natural reaction. But, since everyone's human, they all have their own natural reaction."

"Your job is to find that natural reaction by drawing them to react to your attack."

Again, to me, it sounded very similar to the concept of "feint." Afterward, I tried to apply that concept in my keiko w/ other kenshis.

No comments: