Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lesson: Keep That Center


On Monday practice, Desmond Senpai taught me very valuable lesson.

In Kamae, you have to keep that center.  As soon as you lose that center, the opponent can rush in and will attack you (mostly Men).  In Kamae position, you must have your shinai straight to your opponent's throat and must not let the opponent move it aside or knock it out.  Because, the moment you lose that strong centered-Kamae, you're wide open and the opponent will rush into you (and you won't have any thing to stop that opponent).

(Below, I've added the lessons I learned from the past)
If you have a strong centered-Kamae, 2 things are advantageous:

1.  When you go for your attack, mostly Men, your attack will not be hindered by the opponent and you can go straight in.  In case where both you and the opponent hit Men at the same time, your attack will be valid b/c you attacked from the center and went straight in.

2.  When the opponent attacks you, if you have a strong centered-Kamae, your tip of the shinai will be stuck at the opponent's throat (Tsuki), so the opponent's attack will not be validated.  One thing to caution is that, if you become complacent and just keep that center (pointing to the opponent's throat) and just wait for his attack, the opponent will break your center or find your opening.

Constantly adjust your Kamae to maintain that centered-Kamae.  If the distance became too close for the attack, do not just step back little by little.  Step back and reset your Kamae.  Then, start your strong centered-Kamae again and look for (or create) the openings.

Also, do not be too stiff in trying to keep that center.  The opponent will tap your shinai and will feel how stiff your Kamae is.  If too stiff, he will start using it against you by pushing your shinai to one side and, when you react to it by pushing back against him, he will attack your other side.  (Hard to explain in words...)

Today (Wed.), during the practice, I applied this during my Keiko w/ Hosokawa Sr. Sensei.  During Kamae, I maintained my strong centered-Kamae.  And, when he tried to parry his Kamae and tried to take that center, I tapped his shinai to the side.  His number of attacks became noticeably decreased (usually, he'd attack me whenever he pleased...;p).  Also, when he tried to gain control of that center, I went around his shinai and attacked at other openings.

Many times in the past, many Senseis (including Yamaguchi Sensei, Hosokawa Sensei, Takahashi Sensei, etc.) have taught me this, but it didn't come to me back then.  (I guess it was not my timing yet)

But, on Monday, when Desmond Senpai told me that, it totally clicked to me.  Kendo is not easy to learn.

No comments: