Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thought: How to Attack


Generally, beginners or even the intermediate people tend to think that kendo involves mostly arms because we use shinai.  However, I've recently discovered that kendo is more of foot and leg work than the arm work.  (Yuji Sensei once told me "kendo is about 60% foot work and 40% arm work.")

When attacking, we usually focus on hitting that spot (Men, Kote, Do, Tsuki) w/ our shinai using our "hands and arms."  So, when I want to attack, I would start by extending both my arms as far as I could to "reach" that target as fast as I could (before the opponent blocks it).  This brought me 2 grave consequences:

1.  My body leans forward.
Because of my tendency to reach far, my upper body naturally went forward first and the lower body followed, thus making my body to "lean forward" (about 45 degree angle) every time I attack.  

2.  The opponent can block most of my attacks.
Although my desire is to reach in as fast as I could, the opponent can still see it and block it.  Because, the kendo distance is about 2 shinais long (the distance between my shinai and the opponent's shinai).  No matter how fast I reach, the opponent has enough time to block it.

So, the correct way is to go in with your leg first.  (Of course, this does not mean just reaching your foot out.  You must have that proper fumikomi)  Many beginners and intermediates tend to fall short of extending their legs far enough.  I find the "Fumikomi No Suburi" extremely helpful in fixing this.

So, during Keiko, when you have created that opening, imagine that you're bringing your right leg far far into the opponent's body.  Then, your body will follow and your arms w/ shinai will follow.

Then, your opponent will see you as you are coming in w/ your full force.

No comments: