Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Lesson: Tsuki

Today, I did a keiko w/ Nakagawa Sensei from OCB.

He did his famous Jodan, and kicked my butt.

After our keiko, from his Jodan stance, he told me to do Tsuki at him. (I tried the one hand Tsuki)
(I've heard from Richard before that Nakagawa Sensei does this to get used to Tsuki attacks so that he doesn't flinch)

But, surprisingly, out of (probably) 20-30 times? (I lost count), I only got a 1 good valid Tsuki, and I was keep missing the target.

Then, Nakagawa Sensei stopped my attempts and told me that I should use my right foot as a guide.  He said that I should step my right foot straight out with the tip of my shinai.  He said that, currently, my right foot was facing right, and that was reason why I kept missing his Tsuki to the side.

Amazingly, right after he told me that and I followed his instruction, I got his Tsuki right in the spot.

After the keiko, Yuji Sensei called me and said that I also should not try to aim for the Tsuki but bring it to the front naturally from Kamae.

No comments: