Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Lesson: Forward feeling after strike

Different sensei commented before that I raise my shinai high up after striking Men thus making the feeling to go up instead of going forward.

Takahashi Sensei said it, Spencer Sensei said it, and Jae Choi Sensei said it.

Today, Jae Choi Sensei worked w/ me in making my shinai (feeling) go forward instead of high up. He said to extend my right arm straight forward keeping it about my shoulder height (little below but never higher than shoulder). He also mentioned that I should have my left arm straight, feeling like I'm punching the opponent's Do (in the middle).

It was difficult to get used to b/c: 1) I tend to raise my shinai up after striking Men; or 2) if I run into the opponent, then I tend to pull both my arms.

Jae Sensei said that by extending both arms, I can: 1) go straight through the opponent; or 2) if the opponent blocks me, I can do Tai-atari Men right away.

Afterward, I did Yakusoku-geiko w/ Richard Ra, practicing what I learned. Yuji Sensei watched my practice and commented that I try to extend both arms and just trying to reach the opponent while my foot work does not follow at all. He said that my footwork should carry the strike, not just my arms.

It was extremely difficult to correct something that I have gotten so used to -- years of keep doing bad habit. I should work hard to fix this.

No comments: