Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lesson: Seme w/ Purpose

After the first practice, I asked Spencer Sensei about how I can do Seme effectively. I said that when I try to do Seme, it's ineffective so people don't move.

He said that I shouldn't just step in trying to do Seme, but I should "Seme w/ purpose."
I should Seme in w/ intent to execute an attack, then when the opening is created, I should attack accordingly. It would be very short moment (split seconds), but that's why I need to practice.

I said that, all this time, I've been trying to attack from one-step distance, as fast as I can.
He said that such attack will soon be ineffective b/c there's always gonna be someone faster than me (especially as I get older). Thus, I should practice using Seme to create the opening. And, in doing so, I should Seme in w/ purpose of real attack.

(Oh, he also said that I go to the side after the attack. I should go straight in toward the opponent.)

No comments: