Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thought: Center of Weight


Many times, different Sensei told me that I lift up my leg when I attack. Olson Sensei mentioned it recently again, and on Monday practice, Yuji Sensei said that I don't carry my attack w/ my leg thus my upper body goes first and I end up lifting my leg up.

While thinking about how I can correct this problem, a comparison w/ boxing occurred to me.
(Actually, a few practices ago, Jae Choi Sensei gave me an illustration w/ boxing, and ever since, I related kendo w/ boxing. I used to take boxing during my absence from kendo, so I could easily relate to that illustration)

(Diagram: Boxing 1) In boxing, from the basic stance, when you try to throw right punch to a distant target in the shortest time possible, most beginners (or non-boxers) throw their right punch trying to reach out the target while not using their body or footwork. The results are: 1) although you may reach to target w/ your hand, the impact of the punch is very weak (thus ineffective); 2) the center of weight is off balanced and unstable, thus, again, your punch does not carry any power that is transferred from your center of weight (body) and from your foot; and 3) since you are off balanced, you cannot continue the attack if the first punch was not successful, thus creating opening for the opponent to counterattack.

(Diagram: Boxing 2) However, when you "step in" with your whole body (meaning you carry your whole body w/ your foot thus the center of weight is stable): 1) the impact of the punch is solid from the power generated by your body and your foot -- also from the turning motion of your body; 2) the center of weight is stable; and 3) since you have stable balance, you can continue w/ secondary or tertiary attacks if the initial punch was unsuccessful.

(Diagram: Kendo 1 and 2) Same principle applies to kendo except that you're trying to strike w/ shinai instead of punch.

I have realized that, when facing the opponent, my natural desire and tendency is to try to reach to the target as fast as I can. That tendency and desire makes me to lean forward in order to reach the target w/ my shinai and my left leg being lifted up. (As if, in football, a running back leans forward to cross that line for the touchdown -- they usually dive into the end zone when chased, which is the most extreme case of leaning forward)

The difference is that in football, the objective IS to "reach" to the target (the end zone) while in kendo (or in boxing), the objective is to deliver an effective strike (or punch) to the target. The difference is substance. In kendo (and boxing), you must actually deliver the substance w/ your motion. That means, you have to give up reaching faster in exchange of delivering solid (substantive) and valid strike.

I think that the key in delivering such solid (substantive) strike comes from the body and the foot (as in boxing). That also means, I must work on 2 things: 1) changing my mental picture to carry the whole body w/ me (instead of striving to reaching to the target); and 2) my footwork, especially my left foot as the generator of the power.

Now, the mental picture is drawn, I should put this to the practice so that my body gets used to it -- which will take long time...


No comments: