Wednesday, August 08, 2007

3 Ways to Counter Kote

SPC also taught me 3 ways to counter Kote:

1. Ai-Kote-Men
When the opponent comes for Kote, I go Kote-Men as soon as I "feel" him coming.

2. Kote-Kaeshi-Men (? I don't know if this is the right name)
When the opponent comes for Kote, I block his Kote by twisting my Shinai in front of me, then attack Men. It is important to do that twist in "front" of my body.
(wow...this is really hard to explain, so I should try to draw it or something...)

3. ..... (don't know the name of this technique. I'll find out)
When the opponent's Kote comes, I parry it by raising my Shinai 45 degree upward to the right.
It's like one of that technique in Kata (I forget which number).

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Answer to #3: Suriage-[insert counter strike target here]. This waza is featured in kendo no kata #6 as suriage-kote

JKP said...

Hey Dennis!
Thanks!!!
Yup, that's the one!