Friday, August 24, 2007

A Really Good Lesson from Yamaguchi Sensei - Part II

On Wed., I tried to keep practice that Sen-sen-no-sen concept.  I did a Geiko with another member of our dojo (I forgot his name), but this time, it was really difficult to catch his timing.

Usually, I can see the opponent moving back and forth, and I attack right when he moves forward (that is the Sen-sen-no-sen concept that I know).  But, he had either very small steps (thus I could not perceive his movement) or had movement timing that is very difficult to catch.  Either way, I tried to attack few times but all my attacks were blocked (which means he could see my attack and was able to block).

After that, I did a Geiko with Yamaguchi Sensei.  (As people who did Geiko with him would know) After a few minutes, I was already exhausted and could not even breathe well.  But, I tried to keep it up thinking that this is one of those very precious moment when I can practice with Yamaguchi Sensei (especially now that he is not well after the operation).

After the practice, I went to Yamaguchi Sensei and asked him how was my Kendo today.  I told him that I looked up the concept of the three Sen (Mitsu-no-sen): Sen-sen-no-sen, Sen, and Go-no-sen.  (He said that the middle one is actually called Sen-zen-no-sen)
I told him that it worked fine in some instances but it didn't work well today b/c I couldn't get the timing right.  He told me to keep practice it and I'll get used to it.  He told me to just focus on Sen-sen-no-sen now.  He said that If I do not have Sen-sen-no-sen, I cannot other things.
He also said that in doing Geiko with me today, I was pretty good except that I attacked little too early or little too late.  

So, I must keep working on Sen-sen-no-sen. 

No comments: