Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lesson from Torrance Dojo

I went to Torrance Dojo last week and learned some valuable lessons:

1.  Chris Y. Sensei said that, in playing against opponent, don't just try to go in and hit whatever I wanna hit.  Constantly look for the openings.  In Kamae, if I constantly think that 'I wanna go for Men...' or 'I'm gonna go for Kote now...' then I try it and miss it, there's no point in attack.
He said that constantly look for openings then attack.  There are openings when the opponent is about to attack OR right after he attacks.

2.  While doing Keiko against Chris Y. Sensei, I tried to go for his Kote from under (meaning my Shinai went below his hands and attack Kote).  I also did that to attack Men.  He said that I should first watch my opponent and determine whether such attack is appropriate or not.
He said that there are 2 types of players (in Kendo, one's called "Inside" and the other is called "Outside" --- meaning "Inside" is the ones that have lower Kamae so the 'going under' attack would not work where as the "Outside" is the ones that have higher Kamae, so 'going under' attack would work).  I should observe that first, then attack accordingly.

3.  While playing against Louis, he had extremely fast Men when we were closing in for 1 step attack distance.  He told me that I raise my Shinai too early and too big so that he could see me coming in and easily block me.  Louis' Men would come in straight and give that snap at the end.  This is probably what SPC told me as well.  I should work on this.

No comments: