Thursday, April 19, 2007

Special Session by YMGCH sensei

Today, we had YMGCH Sensei's special session for the basics.
His lecture touched on all the basics from how to wear and fold kendo uniforms, wear bogu, etc.
Then, all the basics of kamae, etc. Afterwards, some basic techniques. Lessons I learned:

1. Kendo
He said that kendo builds character through the training of the swordsmanship.

2. Basics
He said that as the rank and techniques rise, our basics tends to stay because we work on our basics less. But, we must also constantly work on basics to bring it up as same as other techniques. Kendo is not about getting points, but it's about building character and doing it right.

3. Moving to the side
I step toward the opponent, then when he comes for Men, I step side (while moving forward) -- thus moving diagnostically. I felt this while doing keiko with YMGCH sensei before. I went for his Men, but he came towards me then right passed me. He said that I need to get that timing. If I move too early, then the opponent can still get my Men (KN did it today). So, I have to move forward and see it coming then pass the opponent to the side.
YMGCH sensei said I'm still too late (meaning that I move to the side too early so the opponent can hit my Men).

4. Making the openings
I asked YMGCH sensei that when I'm faced with opponent, I don't know how to attack.
He said that I should step forward and move the opponent's shinai to the side (which makes opening) then go for Men. He probably meant that I should make opening, constantly see his opening...

There were alot more that I wished I could engrave all of them in my heart.

No comments: