Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Going Forward

I felt pretty good during today's practice.
(Maybe, partly, because I skipped the first warm-ups and basic practices)

I thought that my major thing to correct was to going forward with proper form and force.
So, I tried to remember what UG taught me on Monday.
(Attack as if I'm gonna step on the opponent's toe)
When I did that, my attack became much solider and easier.

1. In Kamae, put equal balance on both feet.
HSKW sensei mentioned that, in Kamae, I put too much weight on my right leg (foot), so when I attack, my whole body leans forward and I can't move any further after just single attack. He said that my whole weight is forward (thus kinda leaning forward) then right before I attack, my body pulls back a little, then I attack, so the opponent can see that I'm coming in.

2. "Body" as one.
In reply to the above comment (which was translated by UG), I explained that I do the above because I put all my weight forward and stiffen my left leg as accumulating power for the spring to jump forward. UG said Ki-Ken-Tai (Spirit-Sword-Body) must go forward all at once. He said it's "Body" not just legs, so "don't try to use only your leg." Good point.

3. Tsuriyashi
SHRKU sensei said I should still work on my Tsuriyashi. He said smaller and faster Tsuriyashi is better. Today, during the keiko, I noticed myself hopping like a horse after the attack.
I think that smaller and faster Tsuriyashi requires much more leg muscles and workout.
My calves already have gotten huge and my thighs got bigger, too. I know this because the pair of jeans that used to fit me (it's kina narrower leg jeans) not fit very tight so I can't wear them.

4. Waza then Forward.
During the keiko w/ SHRKU sensei, he came for my Kote, so I raised both my arms and hit his Men then went backward (as if I was finishing off Tayatari-Men). SPC observed this and told me not to go backward after doing Waza. Always go forward after Waza. The only time I should go backward is after Tsuba-Zeri.

5. Relax, Don't Panic.
After observing my keiko w/ Mr. Yang, UG said that I should be more relaxed and make it more natural. He said that when I see an opening, I'm rushing into it. He told me to be natural and go forward smoothly.

6. Seeing the whole.
I had shiyai keiko w/ MGM. She got me a good Men. After the practice, we had a little discussion about what we observe during keiko. She said that I should see the whole opponent. If you see the whole opponent, then you can notice little habits and things that you can use to your advantage. For example, she said most people stand straight Kamae, but they step forward when they're about to attack. So, you can use this to your advantage (knowing that the opponent will attack now) to apply the counterattack.

7. Fast one step Men.
I had a good keiko w/ Mike Hs. W/in one step distance, he was amazingly fast and got almost all my Men. As for me, I tried couple of Seme Waza that SPC taught me. Kamae (then) Step backward and forward little to see the opening (then) step forward again as if just observing (then quickly) bring my Shinai to go under his Shinai and raise it up then attack Men. It worked once. Good Waza.

8. Solid Good Men as if Practice.
KN sensei let me hit the Men at the end of keiko w/ him. I did it all correctly w/out any pressure or anything. He said, "strike your Men just like that in keiko too." He later explained that my Men during keiko is little too shallow. I should hit it more solid.

9. Unbeatable KN sensei.
I did sam-bon (3 points) keiko w/ KN sensei.

Me: "YA!!!!!!!"
KN: (hits) Kote!!!

Me: (back to Kamae) "YA!!!!!!!!!"
KN: (hits) Men!!!

Me: (back to Kamae) YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~"
KN: (hits) Tsuki!!

Literally, I never even got to touch him... man!!

p.s. SHRKU sensei remembered my name! ;)

2 comments:

Spencer said...

Hate to break this to you but the basic practice (suri-ashi, suburi, & uchikomi) is the best for improving

JKP said...

No problem, SPC!
I'll put them on my list. I knew that I should always focus on the basics (I think that's our motto here at CMKD, which I believe is very important). To tell you the truth, I started to lose sight of the basics (thus skipping the 1st practice when I had time constraint and faced w/ choice btwn 1st practice (basics) and 2nd practice (keiko session)). I'll focus more on those from now on. Thanks!