Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Lesson from Louie: Do!

Louie got my Do during last WED's shiyai practice.
Honestly, his Do was really good, and I never intended to give it to him.
After I got hit, I was shocked and amazed by his swiftness and clean technique.
I thought I should learn from him, so I practiced it and used it today. Indeed, it was good.

While in Kamae, step forward quickly (keeping Kamae), then go for Do (fast).
Key here is to keep the Kamae straight so the opponent does not know that you're going for the Do.
Also, make the step very quick.

Usually, intermediate kenshi's response would be to raise their arms to block their Men (expecting you to hit their Men). Thus their Do is wide open and you can go for Do.

I did that during the keiko w/ SHRKU sensei, and I did create the opening. (But, I didn't get the valid strike on Do cuz it was not solid enough and SHRKU sensei probably saw through my mind already thus obstructing my attack.)

Thanks! Louie sensei!
*for non-CMKD members, I'm 2-Dan and 30 yrs old. Louie is like 6 Kyu? and 9 yrs old? (still in elementary school)

No comments: