Tuesday, June 12, 2007

One Good Strike!

Today, SHRKU sensei, TKHSH sensei, UG taught me various things to improve my Kendo.
I used to take each person's advice apart, tried to work on it one by one, but soon, my body would freeze during Kamae b/c I had like several things going on in my mind.

While talking to Spammy a while ago, he said that to draw a perfect circle is not to connect 1 tiny bits of lines by drawing them one by one (thus hoping to create the perfect circle), but to draw it once (fast) then try it again and again (thus creating more smooth circle).

So, I decided to relax (as UG always tells me) and just work on my Kendo overall.
I felt much better today.

From the things that people point out, I think that I should envision myself doing a good strike.
My whole body moving forward with straight posture and having a good big and fast swing.
With that in mind, people made the following comments:

1. Tsuriyashi (small fast steps).
SHRKU sensei said that my Tsuriyashi after a strike is someone awkward. He said that I cross my feet (and indeed I was), thus I was somewhat hopping like a horse (although not too bad?). After a strike, the left foot should NEVER cross the right foot, AND do the FAST Tsuriyashi.
SHRKU sensei said that even if you have a good swing and strike, if your Tsuriyashi is bad and slow, your Kendo will not look fast.

2. Smaller Swing
TKHSH sensei said that I should work on smaller and fast strike. He said that, during keiko, he could easily block my strike b/c he sees me coming in w/ both my arms way up. He showed me how to do it, but I cannot describe it w/ words here (I'll try to illustrate later). One thing to remember is that your right hand (holding Shinai) should be in front of your forehead.
(Also, I shall add what HSKW sensei, SPC and UG taught me, which is to move from your shoulder)
I should practice this.

3. Steps
Today, I learned something from UG that answered to something I've been wondering for a long time.
1) Adjust Distance with Subtle Steps Forward.
While doing Kamae, the distance btween me and the opponent is usually too far. Then, I should step forward, thus shortening the distance (also creating Seme).

2) Pushing Forward.
UG taught me and Richard how to Push Forward when we strike. He said to "jump toward your opponent as if you're gonna step on his toe." He told us this many times before, but today, I got to really work on it w/ Richard.
Also, UG said not to jump upward but jump Forward. (He illustrated example of swinging golf - hitting upward will make the ball to go up, hitting with driver from further distance with lower but larger swing will make the ball to go far away)

3) Swing from Shoulder
UG said not to stick out my arms just forward when striking, b/c it'll make:
1) only my upper body to stick out forward and lower body to lag behind (thus sticking out my butt and my left leg behind), AND
2) my strike to be shallow.
I should move my whole body to forward and strike from my shoulder.

No comments: