Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lesson: Big Motion Using Shoulder

One of my many bad habits is that I strike just using my forearms(?).  (It is really hard to describe with words, but I'll try to draw it out next time)

Many people have been pointing that out, and I remember long time ago that Shoraku Sensei told me to swing my strike using shoulders.  In fact, he said that, when I do Kiri-kaeshi, I should use full shoulders and make big motions for each strike.  (Please refer to my past blog entry)

Recently, Takahashi Sensei pointed out that my strikes are very small, so he can easily block and prevent my attacks.  He said that I should use bigger swings using my shoulders.  He said that "in the long run, this will help [my] kendo to be a good kendo."

For some reason, it kinda clicked in my head.  (I don't know why and how, but it just did)
From now on, although not perfect, I try to use bigger swing using my shoulder when I do suburi, basic drills and keiko.

It is much difficult and tiring to use the whole arms from shoulders because the motion is bigger, more energy is consumed and I still have to be fast.  But, just like many lessons I learned from kendo that are being applied in my life:  I must do it the right and proper way even if it requires much more effort and energy.

No comments: