Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lesson: The Fast Kote and The Furious Men

Last Wed., I have observed a great keiko between Shoraku Sensei and Desmond Senpai.

Desmond Senpai's timing is great and his Kote is 'unbelievably' fast.  A few weeks ago, I've seen Desmond Senpai doing keiko against someone, and Desmond Senpai attempted 6-7 Kote attacks and he got all of them (the other person just could not do anything about it).  Also, Yamaguchi Sensei once told me that "Nakamoto (D.) has very good timing..."  During my own keiko w/ Desmond Senpai, I also have attempted to avoid his Kote attacks or tried to attack, but I was never successful.

So, I was very interested in watching Shoraku Sensei v. Desmond Senpai.

At one point, after a long Kamae against each other, Desmond Senpai went for his signature Kote attack (again, 'unbelievably' fast and committing himself fully in the attack).  But, right at the beginning moment of the attack, Shoraku Sensei went for the **Men attack, and accomplished the attack.

It was in such a lightning moment, but I could see what people meant by 'timing.'  If Shoraku Sensei would've 'responded' to Desmond Senpai's attack, I'm not sure if the Sensei could've accomplished the attack.  But at the right timing, which is right at the beginning 'moment' of Desmond Senpai's attack, the Sensei went for the full attack.

I wanted to work on that timing (attacking right before the opponent's attack); and I wanted to work on that fast Kote like Desmond Senpai's as well.  

**While talking to Desmond Senpai today, I've realized that Shoraku Sensei's attack was actually Kote.  I couldn't remember clearly whether it was the Men or the Kote attack.  But, what's important is that the Sensei was successful in countering such fast Kote attack.

No comments: