Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lesson: Fudoshin ("Unmoving Heart")

A few months ago, when Yuji Sensei gave me my shinai bag, which had "Fudoshin ('Unmoving Heart')" written on it, as my birthday gift,  he said, "that's what I want you to have...an unmoving heart."

Today, after observing my kendo, he said that I should be more calm and not get too excited because, when I get excited, my bad habits/postures start come out and my kendo becomes sloppy (and not clean/proper).

Once I lose my calmness and get excited, I start lifting my back leg when attacking and get tensed up when I turn around after the attack.  He said that I should maintain that calmness all throughout my kendo.


(The following is the definition from Wikipedia)

Fudōshin (Japanese: 不動心) is a state of equanimity or imperturbability (literally and metaphorically, "immovable heart" or "unmoving heart") – a philosophical/mental dimension to a (usually Japanese) martial art which contributes to the effectiveness of the advanced practitioner.

Fudoshin:

A spirit of unshakable calm and determination,


courage without recklessness,


rooted stability in both mental and physical realms.


Like a willow tree,


powerful roots deep in the ground


and a soft, yielding resistance against


the winds that blow through it.

No comments: