Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thought: Chance to Attack (Part I)

This posting is in connection to the last one ("The Fast Kote and The Furious Men").

I remembered that one of the lessons I learned from Yamaguchi Sensei long long time ago was that I should attack right when the opponent takes a step forward.

Basically, in Kamae w/ the opponent, when the opponent takes a little step forward, "right at that split moment when he is taking that small step forward," Yamaguchi Sensei taught me to attack.

Over the time, I've learned through my own experiments that, in order to do this successfully:
1) you have to be calm and relaxed;
2) yet, you have to be in full alert of the opponent's every little movement (to know and feel his small step forward); and
3) you have to see his whole body (not just the target of your strike).

In that little split second when the opponent takes a little step forward is a slight window of opportunity to attack.  When the attack is right, during that small movement of stepping forward, the opponent cannot move and is unable to respond to the attack.

I've been successful occasionally, but it's very easy to miss that lightning moment.  But, the good news is that the chance keeps occurring each time the opponent steps forward.  Also, you can 'make the opponent' to step forward by stepping backward -- then the opponent will step forward to adjust his distance w/ you.  (But, do keep in mind that you cannot just keep backing up.  Must always ready to attack at the right moment even if you back up)

I should work on catching this timing.


No comments: