Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Play your opponent

After today's practice, UG told me that I still need to practice what he said last week.
'Play your opponent'

It means:
1. Know what your opponent is good at and use that against him.
For example, if he's good at Men and keep coming with Men, then I should do the technique that would counter his Men for my advantage.
2. Think about what he would do if I do this. If I step forward with Seme, how he would react, and what I would do next. I said it requires too much thinking, then UG said I must practice until it becomes natural so that I don't have to think about it.

One interesting thing I learned from UG:
I must study the opponent so I know what he's good at, what he likes to use the most, etc. He said that it's like robbing a house. I must know when people leave home, when people come in, etc.

UG seems to stress timing. I've seen his kendo, and he's fast. I guess that's what happens when you're good at timing. (that's what he said)
I kinda felt that I had couple good timed attacks, but I feel like I haven't really grasp that yet.
Sometimes I can kinda sense what the opponent will come. But, sometimes not.
UG advised that I should go for what I think he might do, then eventually, I'll be able to sense his timing.

All too difficult to grasp for me. I must think about it more.
But, Ai-Kote-Men is a good example for timing.

No comments: