Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dealing with fear

After my keiko with Mr. Yang, UG made some comments on my kendo.

He said that I show fear, thus, my attack is not full but more like half-hearted (thus not powerful).
He also said that this may be the reason why my upper body moves first (because I wanna reach in).

I told him that when I attack with my full body, Mr. Yang's kamae would stick to my throat, thus I'm afraid of going in fully.

He said, "so what if you get stuck?!! get stuck then! Just go in with your full force and don't show fear!"

He was right. I am a coward.

After a couple of attempts to hit Men but getting stuck into his tsuki, I just didn't wanna go in anymore. I've lost courage to keep trying.

Ok, so, since I've admitted it, I'll shake it off.

UG told me to observe Ryan, who went all-in in each of his attack. I saw the force and the difference between my attack his Ryan's.

"...not to lose courage in the face of adversity...."
- a statement from kendo documentary on Eiga.

No comments: