Thursday, May 03, 2007

Lessons from SPC sensei

During the keiko with SPC, he taught me some lessons:

1. Find your own comfort zone (distance). And, if your opponent steps forward and crosses that distance, attack him. Don't let him come in to that comfort distance.
During the basic practice, 1-step Men is the best way to find that comfort distance.
If I get the right distance, after 5 years, that distance will be much further than when I started.

2. Shibari? (that quick squeeze to shinai when you strike)
(I never knew this, but this enlightened me about striking correctly)
When I strike Men, I've heard many times from other senseis that my strike is shallow.
SPC told me that I must have that quick squeeze to shinai when I strike.
He said that when we do Suburi, 1) make a big motion; and 2) practice that quick squeeze.
But, in keiko, you cannot really make a big swing of shinai because you'll never get the valid strike (the opponent will always block because it's too big).
So, you just bring it up a little, but give that quick squeeze. That squeeze will give your strike a firm and heavy strike.
But, it depends on senseis because some senseis want to see bigger strike, so you just adjust to whoever you're doing keiko with. But at least, SPC doesn't do full swing.

3. Keiko v. Shiyai - Mentality
SPC said that I hesitate.
He said that while keeping the proper distance (and attacking the opponent when he invades my comfort zone), I should never back up during keiko. In keiko, I'm practicing my forward feeling, so I should always go forward and never back up. If he comes in, I attack (NOT step back). If I keep moving back, he will just come in and attack me.
In shiyai, it's different. When both are too close, you can step back and re-adjust. But, even then, you don't wanna back up too much too often.

4. Stepping
My stepping was weird. I raise my right foot too high. I felt awkward, and it looked awkward. SPC said that I should move forward as if I'll be stepping on his toe.

5. Stance
SPC asked me if my back leg (left leg) was straight. I was.
He said that whatever I feel comfortable, I should do. He also bends his front leg (right leg) a little and straightens his back leg.
When we were doing keiko, in Kamae, he said "get ready.....wait......wait......wait....." then when he attacked, I went for Men.

6. Practicing Suburi
SPC practices 50 Suburis a day. He said I should do at least 100.
He also said doing kendo 2 times a week will not really improve me much.
True. People in Korea (and I'm sure in Japan too), they do things everyday.

7. Finally
Many people will tell you different things, but you gotta find what sounds right and feels right to you.
I wished that I could be like him. So, I'll incorporate whatever he tells me.

No comments: