Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Things to work on

1. Swinging my Shinai.
Last Thursday, at OCB's practice, Chris told me that my Shinai swinging is unnecessrily too big.
This didn't mean that it was bad because it was too big, but my swing had unnecessry movements in it that hindered me from striking straight. Chris said, "it's like a math. The closest distance between two points are straight line. Your swing has unnecessary movements that make your strike slow." He told me to practice in front of the mirror to hitting my Shinai straight.

UG has once taught us to bring up your Shinai right up (as if someone's pulling the string from the top) and bring it straight down.

Today, NG explained it to me further. There are two different kinds of swinging. Big swing and small swing. If you work on your big swing, it'll naturally become smaller and faster.
(I've learned this before but this matter came back as I concontrated more on details)
You can use both big and small swing, depending on the situation.

2. Slightly moving my upper body forward.
SHRKU Sensei taught me something new today (something that I've never heard of before).
In Kamae, you move your upper body very very tiny bit forward (with your hip moving forward). When he showed me this, I could hardly see anything b/c his body inside his Kendo-Gi was moving a bit forward. He said that this will naturally make your whole body to move forward thus making your right foot stomp.
This will give Seme to the opponent.

When I asked him this movement might give the opponent the impression that I'm about to attack, he said do it very small and do it very quickly.
(He said this was the reason why I lacked my Zanshin b/c I was trying to attack straight from my Kamae, thus I had hard time reaching forward --- which stopped my body in the middle of attack)

As I attack forward, swing my Shinai big.
I should work on this.

3. Opponent's sensing my Shinai.
Richard said that when I'm in Kamae, he was sensing my Shinai by tapping my Shinai. He said that my Shinai was firm and strong, but right before I attack, my Shinai would completely lose its firmness (triggering sign that that I'm about to attack). He found this recurring pattern and mentioned it to me. I should observe it more and change it (be more flexible).

No comments: