Thursday, May 17, 2007

Practice Practice

HSKW sensei pointed out that my feet are still bit wide apart in Kamae.

He said, "Practice, Practice..."

I guess that's all it takes.

I read this phrase from this kendo book I recently got.
"The sword is: You sharpen it with your body and cut (strike) with your mind."

Today, during a keiko with SPC, this particular Kote-Men combo validly went in.
So, he said, "Good job, [KJ]."

I felt like I had earned that comment from SPC because:
1. I went to each practice almost everyweek.
2. I got to each practice early and started the practice by leading the warm ups.
3. I tried to give my best in each practice and each session. I tried to go 2 steps when UG told us to go 1 step.
4. I hated getting exhausted but I tried to endure that moment.
5. I talked to senseis afterward for the feedbacks.
6. I asked UG for the specific feedbacks and took his comments by heart.
7. I read Spammy's blog and talked to Spammy for guidance.
8. I asked questions to YMGCH sensei and took his answer by heart.
9. I watched many kendo videos at home and in YouTube and tried to learn from them.
10. I got a book and read about kendo.
11. I constantly thought about what I can do to improve my kendo.
12. I tried to apply kendo in my real life (in studying, etc.).
13. I tried to practice suburi at home.
14. I tried to keep myself humble so that I can learn from other kenshis what to do and what not to do. I also tried to learn any good things from anybody even from beginners. I tried to supress my ego.

Doing all these resulted in that one valid strike.

Now, I'm still lacking in many things and I must do many more.
(Ex. YMGCH sensei and SPC said I won't improve just by doing 2 practices a week and should do at least 3-4; Practice suburi at home, etc.)

I guess it's a good start.

No comments: