Monday, May 14, 2007

Kendo mind set

I was taught to "always have forward mind" in kendo.

A few practices ago, during the keiko with SPC, he told me not to back up during keiko (refer to my blog about special lessons from SPC).

He said that 'if your opponent crosses your comfort zone, you must attack.'

So I replied, "if I know that my opponent's gonna block it, why do I even attack?"

So he asked me, "what? so if your know your opponent's gonna block it, you're not gonna attack?"

At that moment, I just accepted it as that I should always attack or have that forward mind.

Today, while reading this book about kendo, that came across my mind.
If I were to conclude on what we talked about and what I've learned today,
I would say the following:

Constantly look for openings to attack, even if you have to inevitably back up for the moment.
In that moment when you feel that you cannot move at all and you think that your attack will be ineffective, do not lose courage. You must have courage to hold your stance and attack.
Don't be afraid of losing or not making the point. But give your best to each attempt. Even though you fail to succeed. Do not give up but hold your ground and attack with proper mind and technique.

(The above is subject to change)

No comments: