Monday, May 14, 2007

Some thoughts on self-learning process...

During the "Special Session by YMGCH sensei" a while ago, I expressed my frustration in learning kendo and improving myself. I told YMGCH sensei that I don't know what to do and I cannot understand clearly how to learn kendo. He first asked me for a specific question. Then, he answered that specific question. He told me to get a book a read it. He said that I should study it and be able to figure things out.

Everything seemed so vague and so foreign to me. I just wished that someone would tell me everything so clearly, so that they all make sense to me. Even if I believed that I am fortunate to have all the senseis in my dojo, I still felt like I'm not getting a clear grasp of what I'm suppose to learn.

After that, I also expressed my frustration to Spammy. Since he always explains to me very clearly, I expected him to explain everything about kendo to me very thoroughly. But, he "clearly" explained to me that learning kendo is a self-learning process which I must go through by myself.

For some time, it didn't make sense to me. Since I've been in school for so long, I thought transfer of knowledge was as simple as the teacher explaining things to his students. However, I can vaguely get the idea that it cannot be done in kendo.

Kendo is something that, even if you know with your knowledge, your body must be able to execute what you know. I've heard this before. I heard that in Greek, there are 2 different kinds of "knowledge." 1) You simply know as a knowledge; and 2) You know it by heart.

I'm sure that kendo is something that requires both your knowledge and your body's execution. Then, you cannot know kendo by simply listening to what someone tell you. You must practice it and acquire it with your mind, heart, and body.

In that sense, YMGCH sensei was right. He explained his answer to my specific question. But, he expected me to learn it and acquire it through my own training.

So, I bought a book about kendo and read it. I watched kendo videos in YouTube. Also, I decided to become more active in learning kendo at dojo by asking senseis for their advice after practice. But most of all, I must practice more. 100 suburis everyday...like HSKW sensei and SPC told me to do.

No comments: