Thursday, May 03, 2007

Lessons from YMGCH Sensei

After the 1st practice, I went to YMGCH sensei and asked him a few questions. Here are his answers:

1. When I do keiko, I've always practiced a single strike, meaning I go for single Men, single Kote, or single Do. Once I close the gap between me and the opponent, I look for a chance I and go for the single strike but could never do double strikes (ex. Kote-Men) or other techniques because I'm already face-to-face with the opponent (too close). What should I do?

- YMGCH sensei said that I should have a proper distance in Kamae position. He said that most people are too close (i.e. their shinai is already crossing in the middle. that's too close), so they only can strike once. I should be further apart and have the proper distance, so even if I go for Kote and miss it (or Men and miss it), I should still have more distance to go for the second attack. I should work on this during keiko.

2. How should I attack? I mean, I know when we Kamae, we look for opening and go in when we see it. But, in reality, it's really hard to see the opening when we're just standing against each other.

- You have to ALWAYS watch your opponent and NEVER take your eyes from your opponent. Then, you use Seme to the Tsuki to pressure the opponent. He will react in someway (but he will ALWAYS react no matter what). Then, there's always openings and you go for that opening. To do this, I should practice what YMGCH sensei taught us the other day (i.e. the practice where Motodachi comes to me for Men and I slightly move forward diagonally to avoid getting hit). I should practice watching the opening and his strike and reacting to it.

- He said that there's also opening when the opponent moves forward. That split second, I can attack because opponent cannot do anything. I've learned that from YMGCH sensei and I've put it to use already. However, I cannot always stand there and wait for him to move. Thus, to pressure him to move, I must use Seme (like explained above).

3. I see the opening, but by the time I act, it's too late. The opponent already blocks it or moves his arms to avoid getting hit. For example, when I see Kote opening and go for it, he already moves his arms so I end up hitting his upper arms. Or, when I see Do opening and go for it, he already lowers his arms and blocks it.

- You gotta be quick (and precise). ( I guess that comes with practicing Suburi many times, thus getting stronger arms for using shinai faster)

4. Finally, YMGCHI sensei said the best way to practice all these is to do Yakusoku keiko (planned (or agreed) keiko where you and the partner agree to attack certain place and practice techniques and timings).

What a valuable lessons from YMGCHI sensei!
I wanted to sit there and wanted to hear more and more.
I felt like the more I hear, I'll get better.
However, I thought there's no use in hearings only but to actually do them.
So, I told the sensei that I'd practice them and ask further questions if I have any.
He smiled.

No comments: